Sunday, May 31, 2015

Corned Beef (and Bacon) Hash


As a kid we sometimes ate corned beef hash out of a can...I know...it's horrible for you. When I met David he had never tried it. I made him try it and after seeing the label he's only been disgusted and refuses to eat it. I still love it because it reminds me of home but again...yes...it's horrible for me. When I was pregnant with Lola, sadly this is something I craved. Even after her arrival, I've craved it, although it has really decreased. Time to invent a version that isn't quite so horrible. While I still wouldn't put this recipe in the "healthy" category given the processed meats involved, I will say David and I were reading labels and guessing it has about a third of the sodium as the canned version.

Corned Beef and Bacon Hash
Yield 4 servings as a main dish

2 tablespoons canola oil
5 cups frozen diced potatoes (Ore Ida)
1 medium onion
2 packages (2 oz each) Buddig Corned Beef
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup cooked bacon bits
1 tablespoon Soy Free Earth Balance Butter
1/3 cup Daiya pepper jack style shreds

Directions: Finely chop the onion and corned beef. Place canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes turning halfway through. Add the chopped onion, chopped corned beef, garlic powder, pepper, and butter to the skillet and cook until potatoes are evenly browned. Add the cooked bacon bits and Daiya cheese and cook until cheese is melted and bacon bits are heated through. Remove from heat and serve immediately.

Disclaimer: It is always important to read labels because brands frequently change their ingredients. These ingredients and brands work for my family but some may be processed in the same facility as wheat, soy, dairy and/or eggs and therefore depending on your severity may or may not work for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment