Sunday, May 31, 2015

Italian Sausage - Paleo and Whole30 Friendly


$4 a pound for sausage! Are you kidding me? Isn't that more expensive than ground turkey when on sale and about twice the price of the chicken breasts I buy on sale? Ah! I wish I didn't like it so much...expensive and not good for me. I decided it was time to try to season my own. I used ground pork which is supposed to not be as fatty too. Plus it's cheaper than sausage. Because it wasn't as fatty it certainly had a more taco meat like texture. It has a mild to medium spice factor and did work well with our pizzas.

Italian Sausage
1 pound ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon fennel, crushed
1/2 teaspoon pepper (half the amount for Mild)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (half the amount for Mild)
1 teaspoon raw apple cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon paprika

Directions: In a bowl, mix all ingredients, including the raw ground pork, and blend thoroughly with your hands. Place the meat mixture in a skillet over medium heat and cook until it is well done and juices run clear. Use in recipes or freeze for later.

Disclaimer: It is always important to read labels because brands frequently change their ingredients. These ingredients and brands work for my family but some may be processed in the same facility as wheat, soy, dairy and/or eggs and therefore depending on your severity may or may not work for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment