Sunday, June 21, 2015

Mini Tortilla Pizzas


I've always been a huge pizza lover. The only problem is that it takes a long time to make it, especially when I make dough from scratch. My other issue is that the crust isn't exactly cheap even if I make it from scratch and especially not if I use a mix. I thought back to my college days when I was too lazy to make food and would throw a sandwich wrap from the deli section on a cookie sheet and use it as a pizza crust. Why couldn't I do something similar with corn tortillas? (Which by the way are SUPER cheap!) So I went to work and have made these lots of times since. Oliver likes them too because they are nice and small. They are easy to have the kids make their own too.

Step 1: Make your crusts. I've done these a couple ways so it depends on your preference. Whatever you do though, don't cook these in the microwave unless you want a pile of mush! Lightly butter (using Soy Free Earth Balance of course) a corn tortilla on both sides. Using either a non stick skillet or griddle fry the tortilla on both sides or until crisp. I've also lightly buttered tortillas and then made them crisp by placing them under a high broiler. This goes fast though and I have burned them a few times so you really have to watch them and turn them every minute or two. Personally I prefer the griddle because I can cook so many at a time. More often than not though I'm too lazy to pull that thing out and clean it so I do the frying pan instead.

Step 2: Place your crusts on a cookie sheet. Top with pizza sauce, toppings of your choice and Daiya cheese. Place the cookie sheet in the oven on a high broiler, watching carefully. Move the sheet around as needed to get pizzas evenly browned.

Step 3: Remove from the broiler and cut into fourths. Crust will likely be somewhat soft in the middle but for the most part I am able to pick up these little triangles and eat them as finger food.

Step 4: Enjoy! Just make sure you make enough. Tortilla shells are low calorie so these aren't super filling. Plus if you have a little one in the house like I do, you end up having to share half your pizza!

Disclaimer: It is always important to read labels because brands frequently change their ingredients. These ingredients and brands work for my family but some may be processed in the same facility as wheat, soy, dairy and/or eggs and therefore depending on your severity may or may not work for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment