Sunday, February 22, 2015

Gluten, Egg, Dairy and Soy Free Breakfast


With my allergens I bet you are wondering what I can eat for breakfast. I think you would be surprised. While I do make eggs for Oliver for breakfast, I like a big breakfast myself sometimes and eggs are clearly not an option. This post is more informative that anything else. There are no recipes here because you just need to follow package directions. I love sausage! I know it's horrible for me but I still love the taste. When I am making a big hot breakfast I enjoy making some sausage and hash browns with some fruit. Believe it or not, not all sausage is safe for my allergens and pre-cut hash browns are even harder to come by. Let me tackle the hash browns first. I used to buy the frozen hash browns which allowed me to keep them in our freezer until I really needed them. Guess what though....they contain soy oil. I have not found a single frozen package that does not contain soy. Who has time to shred their own when you have two kids under two? Not me! So it finally dawned on me. What about those fresh cut hash browns next to the dairy products at the store? Bingo!! Now you will want to check the label but the Market Pantry brand from Target and Simply Potatoes brand that I have tried do not contain soy. Just follow the package directions and you have delicious hash browns without having to shred your own! Just make sure you remember to use a soy free oil! Onto sausage...I like a few kinds of sausage but the two I probably buy the most are Jones Dairy Sausage patties and Walmart's Great Value pork sausage patties. The ones from Jones Dairy are certified gluten free so that makes me rest a little easier. They are less fatty too. Sometimes though to be honest I like all that grease (I know...gross.) so the Great Value sausage patties are a good fit for that.

Disclaimer: It is always important to read labels because brands frequently change their ingredients. These ingredients and brands work for my family but some may be processed in the same facility as wheat, soy, dairy and/or eggs and therefore depending on your severity may or may not work for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment