Sunday, February 22, 2015

Chocolate Chip Brownie Bars

Chocolate Chip Brownie Bars
He says, "Umm, umm"
Oh my goodness these are delicious!!! When I was a teenager I had to avoid chocolate because it gave me terrible headaches. I haven't had that issue for a while so I fell in LOVE with Enjoy Life's chewy chocolate bars but they are about $4 a box. Aldi makes a knock off version that tastes good too for about $2.50 which is what I usually buy. I'm glad I figured out a way to make a similar version because it will really help me save some money on these! Oliver was my helper again today. One nice thing about cooking egg free is that I don't have to worry about him eating the batter and licking the spoon afterwards. It's only been a few hours since these came out of the oven but between Oliver and I, a large chunk of the pan is already gone and I have a horrible headache! Guess I still have the chocolate and headache issue, but only when I overdose!

Chocolate Chip Brownie Bars
Yield 24

-2 tablespoons millet flour
-2 tablespoons sorghum flour
-3/4 cup brown rice flour
-1/4 cup tapioca flour
-1/4 cup potato starch 
-1/4 cup white rice flour
-1/4 cup cocoa powder
-1 teaspoon xanthan gum
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 cup sugar
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1 cup Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
-3/4 cup almond milk
-2 tablespoons ground flax seed
-6 tablespoons water

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small separate bowl mix ground flax seed with water and set aside. Place the flours, cocoa powder, xanathan gum, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Mix dry ingredients well. Now add in the almond milk and flax seed mixture and mix well. Finally, mix in the chocolate chips. Lightly oil (using canola or some other soy free oil of course) a 9 by 13 cookie sheet with a rim. Using a rubber spatula scrape the mixture onto the rimmed cookie sheet and spread evenly. It will be pretty thin. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove and let cool completely. Cut into 24 long, skinny bars with a pizza cutter. If you need these to be a snack on the go, wrap individually with cling wrap and store in a ziploc bag.

Disclaimer: It is always important to read labels because brands frequently change their ingredients. These ingredients and brands work for my family but some may be processed in the same facility as wheat, soy, dairy and/or eggs and therefore depending on your severity may or may not work for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment