Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The No Egg Meat "McMuffin"


I'm one of those people who totally loved fast food breakfast sandwiches until I got diagnosed with my food allergies. My favorite was the Bacon, Egg and Cheese Bagel from McDonald's! YUM! I was so addicted to these my sophomore year of college that I gained a lot of weight and was the heaviest I've ever been in my life (besides the last few months of pregnancy.) I would even make them at home I loved them so much. You can probably imagine my sadness over this breakfast sandwich when I found out no more bagels, eggs or cheese for me! On the positive side, since eliminating my allergens and trips to McDonald's, I have lost 20 pounds! Over the years I have been determined to create a new breakfast sandwich that I can have without getting sick! If you're vegetarian this probably won't work for you unless you have some allergy free vegetarian meat. Here's what I did:

Ingredients:
-2 slices of Schar white bread from the bread mix unless you can have soy.
-2 strips of bacon (gluten and MSG free)
-1 gluten free and no MSG sausage patty (Great Value's pork sausage patties)
-3 slices of gluten free ham (Land O Frost's Black Forrest Ham)
-2 tablespoons Daiya pepper jack style shreds or mozzarella shreds if you don't like the spice
-Soy Free Earth Balance butter spread

Directions: Cook Schar white bread mix per package directions to make a loaf of bread, cut two slices of bread. Fry bacon slices in a skillet until cooked. Place slices on a plate with a paper towel to dry off the grease. (TIP: I like to cook a pound of bacon slices and then put them in the freezer to easily pull out for things like this or burgers, etc.) Once bacon is done, remove the bacon grease. Fry the sausage and ham together in the bacon skillet. Remove sausage once it is completely heated or cooked and browned. Deli ham will only take about one minute per side to heat and fry. You could also use an electric griddle to do it all at once. Butter one side of each piece of bread. In a clean skillet, place one piece of bread butter side down. Then place one tablespoon of pepper jack shreds on top of the bread followed by these layers: half of the sausage patty, one strip of bacon, 3 slices of ham (each folded in half), the remaining half of the sausage patty, one strip of bacon, 1 tablespoon of cheese and the remaining piece of bread to top with butter side up. Cook in the skillet on medium heat until toast is brown and cheese begins to melt. Then flip over the sandwich to brown the other side of the sandwich. Remove and serve when both sides are brown and cheese is melted.

Disclaimer: It is always important to read labels because brands frequently change their ingredients. These ingredients and brands work for my family but some may be processed in the same facility as wheat, soy, dairy and/or eggs and therefore depending on your severity may or may not work for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment