Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Beef Taco Salad


We love tacos. We love them so much that we eat them at least every other week. They are such an easy meal and with my brother-in-law being a vegetarian, it's actually pretty easy to make this meal work for both him and I by just adding a can on vegetarian refried beans. The trick to this meal is the seasoning. I've made my own taco seasoning a few times but it just isn't as good as store bought in my opinion. Probably because that's what I grew up on. A normal person wouldn't think twice about taco meat containing allergens but fact is...finding taco seasoning that is free of all of my allergens can be hard! Many contain wheat and some contain milk products. While I used to use Old El Paso (they offer coupons frequently), I no longer can use this brand because it contains soy. Now the only seasoning I buy is Ortega and in an effort to reduce our sodium intake, we buy the lower sodium version. Tonight we were busy with friends so I cooked the meat ahead of time and had it warming in the crock pot for when we got home!

Beef Taco Salad
Yields 6 servings

1.5 pounds lean ground beef
1 packet Ortega 40% lower sodium taco seasoning
1 package shredded lettuce or shred your own
1 tomato, diced
1/2 bag Daiya pepper jack style shreds
1 bag Tostitos corn tortilla bite sized rounds (double check other flavors you want to try)
French Dressing

Directions: Place ground beef in a skillet and cook over medium heat until brown and juices run clear. Drain fat and return skillet of beef to medium heat. Add seasoning and water per package directions. Cook until water is completely cooked off. Serve meat along with other toppings. To assemble the salad, crush the desired amount of Tostitos corn tortilla chips and place on a plate. Top with meat, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: It is always important to read labels because brands frequently change their ingredients. These ingredients and brands work for my family but some may be processed in the same facility as wheat, soy, dairy and/or eggs and therefore depending on your severity may or may not work for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment