Monday, March 23, 2015

Chicken Twisters Like KFC


About a year before my allergies were diagnosed, I fell in love with the KFC chicken twister. It's a wrap with crispy chicken tenders, a peppered mayo, tomatoes and lettuce. Soooo good! Mc Donald's makes a similar item but it's advertised as a snack. These have the ingredients of the twister but the size of the Mc Donald's snacker given the size of the tortilla. Regardless, they are a favorite of mine. With Lola's soy allergy, I was worried I would have to give them up. I usually buy Perdue's gluten free chicken breast tenders and thankfully these still work. I must emphasize the tenders part though. I found some chicken nuggets in the Perdue brand that had soy oil. Also Tyson's gluten free chicken strips contain soy. Luckily Perdue's chicken breast tenders can easily be found at Target or Walmart and they frequently have coupons online for you to print. The regular price is pretty similar to wheat chicken tenders but when you can find a coupon on them, they are quite a bit cheaper than some brands. I use corn tortillas in the recipe because they are cheap and easy to find at a regular grocery store. Most people don't like corn tortillas and trust me, I'm not a huge fan either. I don't use them for my tacos because I don't really like them. However, they taste great in this meal!

Chicken Twisters
Yield 4 servings

8 corn tortillas (ensure gluten free)
8 Perdue gluten free chicken breast tenders
2 tomatoes
1 bag of shredded lettuce
Earth Balance Mindful Mayo (vegan)
Pepper

Directions: Cook chicken tenders in the oven per package directions. Get a paper towel wet and wring out. Open up the wet paper towel onto a plate. Place one corn tortilla on the paper towel and fold edges over top of the tortilla. Place in the microwave and cook for 20-25 seconds. Unwrap tortilla. Tortilla should be very soft. If not, heat for another 5-10 seconds. Spread mayo over the tortilla. Crack or shake the desired amount of pepper evenly over the tortilla and mayo. Place one chicken strip in the center of the tortilla. Top with slices of tomato and shredded lettuce. Fold over the tortilla and enjoy. Do this for the remaining tortillas and chicken tenders.

Disclaimer: It is always important to read labels because brands frequently change their ingredients. These ingredients and brands work for my family but some may be processed in the same facility as wheat, soy, dairy and/or eggs and therefore depending on your severity may or may not work for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment