Friday, March 27, 2015

White Bread Loaf


My favorite bread mix is made by Schar. I like their white bread mix because it doesn't call for eggs and it meets my allergy needs as is. It tastes pretty good too as a bread or pizza crust. I've heard Udi's is good but all of their products have eggs so I've never tried them and can't compare this to Udi's at all for that reason. The only problem with Schar's bread mix is that it costs between $6-$7 for one box. It's too expensive for me to use it on a regular basis but I still like to buy it for a treat or special meal. I've been determined for a while to replicate this bread loaf somehow and tonight I got pretty close. This doesn't taste EXACTLY like Schar's but it's pretty close! I'm just excited how much money I am going to save, especially since the flours it uses are some of the cheapest gluten free flours you can buy!

White Bread Loaf
Yield 1 loaf

1 cup corn starch
1.5 cups white rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1.5 teaspoons salt
1.5 teaspoons xanthan gum
2 teaspoons sugar
1 Ener-G egg replacer "egg" (1.5 teaspoons powder mixed with 2 tablespoons water)
1.5 cups warm water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 packet or 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast

Directions: In a small bowl, mix the Ener-G egg replacer powder and water and set aside. In a medium sized mixing bowl, place the corn starch, white rice flour, potato starch, salt, and xanthan gum. Mix well. In a large mixing bowl or kitchen aid mixer, place the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Wisk together with a fork and let sit for 2 minutes. Then add the dry ingredient mixture, "egg", and oil. Mix well. Dough will be sticky. Lightly grease a loaf pan with canola oil. Using a rubber scraper, scrape the dough into the loaf pan and spread evenly. Let rise for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and place a 9 x 13 pan filled with water on the lower rack of the oven. Bake for 50 minutes. Let cool on a cooling rack. To reheat, place in the toaster or in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.

Disclaimer: It is always important to read labels because brands frequently change their ingredients. These ingredients and brands work for my family but some may be processed in the same facility as wheat, soy, dairy and/or eggs and therefore depending on your severity may or may not work for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment