Monday, August 17, 2015

Pancakes Like Biquick's


This summer has really gotten away from me. I apologize for it taking me so long to post again but we've been pretty busy this summer. I promise I will get back at it once things slow down this fall. We've continued to cook quite a bit this summer and have tried a lot of new recipes, including a lot of vegetarian ones, but this new recipe is one I am really excited about! My family likes to make a good breakfast in the morning. The kids and I love pancakes but after going through a few bad gluten free pancake mixes, we are pretty partial to the gluten free Bisquick mix by Betty Crocker. It can be expensive though at $4.58 for a 16 oz box (that's $1.27 for one batch) and to be honest my kids can eat A LOT of pancakes! I needed to find a cheaper way to make these so I have been playing around with some ingredients and have figured out a recipe that tastes almost exactly the same as the Bisquick version. If you just want the Bisquick mix then combine the dry ingredients only and it will yield about 1 cup of Bisquick mix. The kids approve too! Enjoy!

Pancakes
Yield: About 10 pancakes

3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon white rice flour
4 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon potato starch
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 "egg" using Ener-G Egg Replacer
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup almond milk

Directions: In a small bowl mix the "egg" and set aside. Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Then add the premixed "egg", canola oil, and almond milk to the large bowl. Mix well. Heat an electric griddle to 350 degrees. Pour some batter onto the griddle and spread evenly with a spoon. When bubbles start to form on top of the pancake, flip over and brown the other side. Remove and serve when both sides are evenly browned. Yield is about 10 pancakes.

One final note.....is my recipe from scratch cheaper? Yup! Based on Vitacost and Walmart's prices, my mix from scratch is $0.90 per batch versus $1.27.

Disclaimer: It is always important to read labels because brands frequently change their ingredients. These ingredients and brands work for my family but some may be processed in the same facility as wheat, soy, dairy and/or eggs and therefore depending on your severity may or may not work for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment