Friday, February 20, 2015

Oatmeal, Craisin, & Walnut Granola Bars




These granola bars are pretty tasty. Tasty enough to post and write about, but I'm a perfectionist to some degree so I do think I may have to try tweaking this recipe and updating it once I make them again since this was only my first run at it. I enjoy cooking from scratch without a recipe or measuring things when it comes to making dinner but baking, especially gluten free vegan baking, that's a whole different story. I find that really intimidating so I have never tried it. What if I put in too much flour, not enough sugar, too much salt, etc!? Oliver was my helper today in this first attempt though. (I'm not sure if that made it easier or harder!) Oliver LOVES granola bars and it may not be the healthiest choice, but our family does eat a ton of granola bars between breakfast on the go and snacks. I buy regular ones for David and Oliver since they don't have the dietary restrictions and are much cheaper. I love granola bars though too but they get to be expensive!!! Of course Oliver always wants what I am eating so I end up having to share with him too. I like the cranberry almond chewy granola bars that Van's makes but they are $4 for a 5 count box so very rarely so I buy them. Our creation today was inspired by their flavor.

Oatmeal, Craisin, & Walnut Chewy Granola Bars
Yield 24

-2 tablespoons millet flour
-2 tablespoons sorghum flour
-3/4 cup brown rice flour
-1/4 cup tapioca flour
-1/4 cup potato starch 
-1/2 cup gluten free steel cut oatmeal
-1 teaspoon xanthan gum
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
-1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/2 cup craisins
-1/2 cup chopped walnuts
-1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons almond milk
-2 tablespoons ground flax seed
-6 tablespoons water

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the flours, oatmeal, xanathan gum, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a bowl. In a small separate bowl mix ground flax seed with water and set aside. Place the craisins and walnuts in a food chopper or processor and chop until very small chunks remain or whatever size chunks you want in your bars. Add chopped craisins and walnuts to the dry mixture. Mix well. Now add in the almond milk and flax seed mixture and mix well. Lightly oil (using canola or some other soy free oil of course) a 9 by 13 cookie sheet with a rim. Using a rubber spatula scrape the mixture onto the rimmed cookie sheet and spread evenly. It will be pretty thin. Bake at 350 degrees for 11 minutes. Then broil on low for 3 minutes to get some brown color on the top. Remove and let cool completely. Cut into 24 bars with a pizza cutter. If you need these to be a snack on the go, wrap individually with cling wrap and store in a ziploc bag.

These bars are great for snacks on the go!
Self Review: These taste pretty good. I mean even Oliver was eating #3 only an hour after they came out of the oven and he had just eaten breakfast! When I try them again though I will probably decrease nutmeg a bit and throw in a couple tablespoons of agave nectar or honey because they aren't as sweet as commercial, processed granola bars.

Disclaimer: It is always important to read labels because brands frequently change their ingredients. These ingredients and brands work for my family but some may be processed in the same facility as wheat, soy, dairy and/or eggs and therefore depending on your severity may or may not work for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment