Friday, February 20, 2015

Steak Fajitas and Quesadillas

Steak and Cheese Quesadeillas
A few nights ago we made steak fajitas. When it comes to eating the same leftovers multiple times, I usually am trying to use the ingredients in a slightly different way to change things up, especially by the third meal of them! That was this meal. David wasn't feeling good the day we had fajitas so I've pretty much been eating the leftovers all by myself! I said in a previous post that I don't like red peppers. Let me rephrase this...I don't like any peppers! So with that being said, I will throw them into the recipe because I do make them for David but my picture and the one I eat is steak and cheese only! Here's a tip for those of you who don't usually use Daiya cheese. This cheese is stronger than cow's milk cheese and you therefore do not need to pile it on the fajita as much as you would if it were dairy. I usually use about half of what I would for cow's milk cheese. Also, in my opinion, it tastes much better melted than not. For lunch today I made this and added some grapes along with chips and salsa as my sides.

Fajita Quesadillas or Regular Fajitas
Yield 6-8 depending on how much meat and cheese you like in your fajita

-1.5 pounds sirloin steak sliced into strips against the grain of the meat
-1 package Ortega fajita seasoning packet
-1 red bell pepper sliced into strips
-1 yellow bell pepper sliced into strips
-1 green bell pepper sliced into strips
-1 large onion
-12-16 gluten free corn tortillas (Double check other allergens as well!)
-1 package (8 oz) Daiya cheddar shreds or shred your own using their cheddar wedge
-1 package shredded lettuce
-1-2 medium sized tomatoes, diced
-Soy Free Earth Balance Butter

Directions:
Trim the fat off the sirloin steak. Then slice the steak into strips against the grain. If making quesadillas I prefer to make bite size pieces. Place cut steak in a skillet and cook until browned inside and out. While your steak is cooking, slice your green, red, and yellow peppers as well as your onion. Place them into a separate skillet with a little Soy Free Earth Balance or olive oil and cook until they start to get some brown color to them and become a little soft. Now go back to your steak. It should be done by now. Add the Ortega seasoning to the steak along with water per the package directions and cook until water is gone. Now that your meat and veggie mix are done you could serve this with warm corn tortillas, cheese, lettuce, and tomato or you could follow the rest of the directions for some delicious quesadillas! "Butter" one side of each corn tortilla. Place a corn tortilla butter side down onto the frying pan, add your steak, cheese, and onion/peppers mix. Place a second corn tortilla, butter side up on top. Cook until bottom tortilla is brown. Flip the quesadilla over with a large turner (these can be hard to turn because the dairy free cheese doesn't hold it all together like dairy cheese does.) Now cook the other side until brown. Remove from the pan to serve and repeat until all quesadillas are done. Top with shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes.

Disclaimer: It is always important to read labels because brands frequently change their ingredients. These ingredients and brands work for my family but some may be processed in the same facility as wheat, soy, dairy and/or eggs and therefore depending on your severity may or may not work for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment