Thursday, September 2, 2010

Not all gluten free crackers taste like cardboard!

My sister who has been on a gluten free diet 2 years longer than me has had me scared to try any gluten free crackers. If you are on a gluten free diet you know just as well as I do that these products do not come cheap and the last thing you want to do is spend $5 on a box of crackers that taste like cardboard. Well I will not say these crackers taste like the cracker I am used to but I will say that they don't taste too bad. They are very light and airy and seem to be made of cornmeal and rice. I've tried to use rice cakes as a giant cracker but they did not work well! These tasty cracker alternatives are called gluten free cracklebred by Natural Nectar. They have 3 different flavors: original, sun dried tomato & oregano, or multi-grain. I tried the original but I am excited to try sun dried tomato & oregano soon. I was able to purchase these crackers at a food co-op in Rochester, MN for $3.99. Now...these crackers are not just for eating plain. Here are some of the things I've eaten mine with!

Cheeseburger: It may sound weird but it sure is better than a plain, nasty hamburger patty with cheese. I used these crackers to place my burger on top of the cracker (after cutting it down to size) and I've tried using 2 crackers and eating it as a sandwich. Both tasted great and totally beat eating plain meat.

Tuna & Crackers: I mixed a can of tuna fish with some Egg Free, Dairy Free Mayo called Vegenaise. I was a bit skeptical of the Vegenaise tasting good but it surprised me. I just put the tuna mix on top of my crackers. I told my husband I think it's going to be one of my new favorite meals.

Ham & Cheese "Sandwich": I miss the easiness of making a ham and cheese sandwich for work. I used these crackers to substitute the bread and ate it more like a cracker with ham and cheese on top. I also spread some of the Vegenaise on the cracker before topping it with my gluten free ham and goat cheese. Another one of those meals that I think is going to end up being a favorite.

I know I say in a lot of my posts that the food I'm trying tastes so good and is a new favorite but I really am not over exaggerating on these crackers. Here's how much I like them and all the ways I can use them......I bought a case of 12 boxes of them off Amazon when I ran out of my first box! YUMMY! I can't wait till they get here!

No comments:

Post a Comment