Thursday, September 2, 2010

Spicy Sausage, Tomato, Basil & Onion Pasta

Forget regular spaghetti for dinner when you can flavor it up with this tasty pasta dish! After moving to our new place David and I really didn't know what to make for dinner. I had 2 pints of grape tomatoes that needed to be used, some fresh basil left from family over that weekend and some chopped onions from a company party. All just sitting in the fridge. When I opened my freezer, the first thing I saw was a pound of hot sausage that I had bought at the grocery store. I thought, well....let's just try it. To my surprise this cleaning out the refrigerator meal ended up being quite good and something I would make again. I even used the leftovers of this meal as individual meals for myself when we visited my in-laws that weekend. Some of my sister-in-law's friends saw and smelt my pasta dish and thought it looked and smelled pretty good! I can attest that it tasted good as well!

Here is roughly what I used since I didn't really measure:
2 pints grape tomatoes, whole
About 5 leaves of fresh basil, chopped
1 pound hot sausage
1/3 cup chopped onion (We really like onions though so maybe you don't want quite so many.)
About 3/4 cup white cooking wine
8 oz Quinoa/Corn spaghetti noodles by Ancient Harvest

Over medium heat, fry up the hot sausage in a frying pan until meat is fully cooked. Remove extra fat from the pan and discard. Add the onions and continue to fry for another 2-3 minutes. Add the 2 pints of grape tomatoes and 3/4 cup of white cooking wine to the frying pan. Remain on medium heat and place lid on frying pan. Try not to open the lid because you want the tomatoes to get warm so they are soft or burst.In the meantime start boiling water for your noodles and cook them to your liking. After about 5-10 minutes remove lid. Using a potato masher, smash the tomatoes so they are all open. Be careful, sometimes tomato juices spray out of the pan during this and can be very hot. Add the fresh basil and allow it to just barely welt into your sauce. Continue to cook sauce until it is to your thickness liking. Note though that this particular sauce is not going to be a very thick sauce. Remove sauce from heat and serve over a bed of quinoa noodles. I have come to find that it is VERY important to rinse your quinoa/corn noodles with hot water after cooking. They seem to be very starchy and sticky. Rising really helps decrease the noodles sticking to each other. I think this meal probably yielded about 6-7 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment