Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ice Cream is What's For Dessert

Growing up we had ice cream many nights after dinner. We typically bought it by the gallon bucket. I love ice cream but since discovering my dairy allergy it has to be a rare luxury. Dairy free ice cream is pretty expensive which is why I have learned to make some of my own versions but tonight I just went with store bought! I figured I would have plenty of options given that there are coconut, almond, and rice ice creams besides soy. Unfortunately many of the flavored ones had soy in them....back to reading more labels. I didn't really look at the coconut ones because they weren't on sale like the rest of them. I finally found a soy free one! Organic vanilla by Rice Dream to be exact. Yes it's a plain and boring flavor but hey, at least it's ice cream! It tasted pretty good but needed some flavor. Luckily Target's Market Pantry brand had a strawberry syrup I could have. If you wanted a fancier and richer flavor you could mix in some plain Daiya cream cheese and strawberry jam with your plain ice cream instead for a "strawberry cheesecake" like flavor. If you are feeling really ambitious you could add some allergy free graham cracker crumbs that I have a good recipe for but that's for another post!



Disclaimer: It is always important to read labels because brands frequently change their ingredients. These ingredients and brands work for my family but some may be processed in the same facility as wheat, soy, dairy and/or eggs and therefore depending on your severity may or may not work for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment