Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Vegan Cheese Sauce


Yum! If you avoid dairy this is a recipe for you! Dairy free cheese is SO expensive. There are some sauces and cheeses I would love to try but I just can't pay $10 for a small container. Now that I have to avoid soy for Lola, my cheese options are even less....as if it couldn't get any worse! Therefore I've been really trying to learn about flavors in vegan cheese and how to make my own. I have a cookbook for some I like but they are a lot of work, most take days to make and use cashews which can be just as expensive sometimes. This sauce is cheap though and pretty easy. I also tried to limit the number of weird ingredients I used so hopefully you don't need to buy much, if anything. We used it as a dip for chips today and on top of some awesome French fries! Oliver kept saying "umm umm" but it may have been largely because of the chip part.

Vegan Cheese Sauce
Yield 2/3 cup

1 tablespoon brown rice flour
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 cup almond milk
1 1/2 teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon Miso Master's Chickpea Miso or if you can have soy, another miso that meets your allergy needs
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

Directions: In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil over low heat. Once melted add brown rice flour and whisk until blended and it creates a paste. Add the almond milk first and then all other ingredients over medium heat. Whisk until blended well. Continue to whisk the sauce frequently and cook for approximately 13 minutes or until thickened to desired thickness. Serve immediately. If reheating, additional milk or water may need to be added to thin the sauce.

Disclaimer: It is always important to read labels because brands frequently change their ingredients. These ingredients and brands work for my family but some may be processed in the same facility as wheat, soy, dairy and/or eggs and therefore depending on your severity may or may not work for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment